The new Clyde Bridge near Carstairs Junction is being constructed for South Lanarkshire Council as a replacement of the reinforced concrete Clyde Bridge near Carstairs, which opened in 1912 and was one of the earliest reinforced concrete bridges in Scotland. After a century of use, a 3t weight limit had to be imposed for a few years before it was fully closed to traffic in 2018. Its prolonged closure has caused the significant issues to the local community as it has blocked off one of the main routes in the area.
Eric Wright Civil Engineering (EWCE) were awarded the contract by South Lanarkshire Council to complete the work, and have achieved a key project milestone as the single span Mabey Bridge is launched.
EWCE appointed PaSCoE as temporary works designer for the bridge launch which has included designing the Piling Platforms, undertaking Crane Outrigger Assessments, designing Winch and Roller Foundations, and designing the Launch Platform.
Once the new bridge is complete, the old one will be demolished and removed. PaSCoE are assisting EWCE with the design of the temporary works associated with the demolition taking place over the River Clyde, including access platforms, scour assessments, and hydraulic modelling.